Akimbo by Rock Exotica
The Akimbo is a unique arborist climbing tool that enables the climber to ascend, descend and position on both stationary rope and moving rope systems.
The Akimbo features rope contact surfaces (Upper and Lower Bollards) that adjust to accommodate a wide range of rope sizes to suit the climber's needs or preferences"”all without tools or disassembling components. The Bollards can also be adjusted to increase or decrease friction to accommodate changes in climber weight, changes in environment, or adjust for natural wear of the Akimbo's contact surfaces.
The Akimbo opens easily to remove or install a rope mid-line in seconds, and compresses back down into a compact form factor both on and off the rope. When climbing on stationary rope, the chest harness connection point facilitates quick connections by way of an innovative wire gate. As opposed to a closed loop attachment, the wire gate conveniently allows the climber to use a small non-PPE carabiner to connect to the SRS attachment point, or directly to a loop of cord.
See the list of approved ropes below for best performance!
Features & Benefits
- Rope Sizes*: 11.5mm - 13mm
- WLL (Working Load Limit)*: 100 kg or 130 kg (220 lb or 286 lb)
- Suitable for both SRS and MRS climbing methods
- Install/remove rope mid-line, without detaching from harness
- Adjust friction easily without tools
- Quickly connect/disconnect cord or small carabiner to wire-gate SRS chest attachment
- Ascend, descend & work the canopy without changing equipment
- Lghtweight and compact (weight: 9.2oz (261 gm))
- Accepts wide range of rope sizes* (See list of approved ropes)
- *Rope selection will determine working load limit of the Akimbo. Only use ropes approved by Rock Exotica. See list of approved ropes below, or consult the Akimbo user instructions.
Approved Ropes for the Akimbo
Rock Exotica has approved certain ropes for use with the Akimbo at the Working Load Limit (WLL) shown below. Only approved ropes should be used with the Akimbo. Remember, the WLL includes the climber and all of their gear. Total Working Load of the climber must not exceed the Working Load Limit for the rope listed below or slippage may occur!
Environmental factors, the condition of rope, and the condition of Akimbo can all affect the suitability of rope used with the Akimbo. Refer to Akimbo User Instructions to test rope and verify friction settings before climbing. Rock Exotica will update the list of approved ropes - check WesSpur.com or Rock Exotica's site frequently.
WLL: 100 kg (220 lb)
Do Not Exceed this weight on the ropes listed below!
WLL: 130 kg (286 lb)
- Do Not Exceed this weight on the ropes listed below!
- ArborMaster 12mm by Samson
- Vortex 12.7mm by Samson
- Element 12.8mm by Sterling
- Scion 12.5mm by Sterling
- WorkPro 12.5mm Sterling
- HTP 12.5mm by Sterling
- Fly 11.1mm by Teufelberger
- drenaLINE 11.8mm by Teufelberger
- Tachyon 11.5mm by Teufelberger
- Scandere 11.7mm by Yale
Ratings & Reviews
This is by far my favorite SRS device and I wouldn't run anything else unless I absolutely had to.
My only word of warning is to take time to dial the device in for the rope that you are using.